Monday, May 25, 2009

It Really Isn't Free

I must confess I did something last night that I don't normally do. I turned on the PBS station to watch a program. Now...nothing against PBS, I remember watching me some Lawrence Welk whenever my grandparents came into town and stayed with us. (Okay...at the time, I hated that we had to watch Lawrence Welk when we could've been watching our usual lineup-The Muppets followed by Sha-Na-Na, but I digress...)
They were showing the annual Memorial Day Concert live near the steps of the Capitol building down in Washington. There's just something about patriotic music especially around either Memorial Day, Veteran's Day, or the 4th of July that just stirs something inside. A focus this year was not only soldiers who have died but those that have come back injured. Some injured a whole lot.
I don't know...maybe because we spent last year in Australia where the last Monday in May and July 4th were just other days on a calendar and where I saw a flag with the Southern Cross on it much more regularly than the Stars and Stripes, it's just made me more aware, I guess, of how much I love this country. Now I know we weren't anywhere near a third world or war-torn country. Life is pretty darn good down in Australia. But being away did make me appreciate so much more what I have here. I admit to getting teary-eyed the first time coming back to the U.S., flying into San Francisco, seeing an American flag at the airport, and hearing the guy in customs saying, "Welcome Home."
Because yes, it is home. Why would anyone want to leave it? And that's what struck me last night as I listened to the symphony playing a medley of Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, and Coast Guard anthems. (And by the way...any other former Collegians out there who can still sing along to each one courtesy of our patriotic rallys on WOL Island every week during the summer? Good times!)
It struck me that there have been many, many men and women over the years who have done just that. Left the good ol' USA (many voluntarily!) to live and fight somewhere else so I can go out on my deck with a glass of ice cold Diet Coke without thinking in the least that it might not be safe to do that. I don't have to listen for strange sounds, peer closely for any snipers on nearby roof tops, worry that an rpg is going to come whizzing into my backyard. I have an unending supply of Diet Coke, my fridge is filled with food, and I have a very soft bed to sleep in every night.
Perhaps you have to eat MRE's that don't taste like home cooking. Maybe your bottled water is just luke warm. Instead of a bed you sleep on a creaky cot or worse yet...just dig a little hole in the ground to stretch out in. So for that...thank you. Freedom...my freedom, really isn't free. Many have paid for it, and some have paid very dearly for it. Thank you. Thank you so much.
May we never, ever forget.

1 comment:

  1. It's funny that you should mention the world famous WOL Collegians and their patriotic rallies. I thought about those several times yesterday. Once, during STC my 1st year, I got to ride in the Island float in the 4th of July parade in Schroon Lake and throw out candy to all the kids. I don't remember how I got picked to do that, but it was a lot of fun. Watching the fireworks from the barge out in the middle of Schroon Lake, well, there's nothing quite like that either.

    ReplyDelete