Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Are You Kidding Me?

So I get this email yesterday with the subject line in all caps saying something about a proposed class action settlement. Thinking it was some scam from Nigeria or the like, I was going to just delete it, but I have to admit, I was a bit curious.
Turns out there's some class action settlement against Classmates.com which I think I was on years ago. Who needs that when you got Facebook? Anyway, I have now come to learn that Classmates. com may have violated my privacy rights by sending some emails that may have violated the law. Whoop de do...so some people may know the name of my high school and what year I graduated from. I have till August 17th to respond that I want to be included in the class action suit or let them know that I want to opt out of the settlement so I can "maintain my right to pursue my own claim".
And just what am I entitled to? What huge fortune awaits my response? If I submit a valid claim form, I am entitled to either a cash settlement of $3.00 or a $2.00 credit off a Gold Membership at Classmates.com. Seriously? People are actually going to do this? And some people are going to opt out so they can sue the pants off of Classmates.com?
The lawyers representing the people in this egregious breach of privacy are two guys out of Seattle and LA. You can rest easy, knowing it was stipulated that they will only receive up to 1.3 million dollars for representing the poor public whose rights were so violated.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm offended! I was on classmates.com several years ago, and I never received any email! I think I'll sue too, just on principle. That $3.00 could come in handy, now that Bob is retiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They didn't email me with this information either. They must like you, Sandra.

    ReplyDelete